Thursday, January 3, 2013

My First BOM: The Skill Builder

As I've read through quilty resolutions the past few days, I've noticed that BOMs pop up a lot. Some people want to try them. Some people want to reduce their participation in them! I've never done any bees or BOMs or anything like that, and I'm pretty ok with that decision--my schedule is unpredictable, and since sewing is a hobby and release for me, I don't think I'd do well feeling compelled to do something. If I'd like to not sew for a couple of weeks, I like to have the freedom to do that. So I wasn't sure these group sewing activities would be for me.

However, I saw Julie at Jolie Maxtin mention the Skill Builder BOM hosted by Alyssa at Pile O' Fabric. That piqued my interest--I have skills that need building, right? So I checked it out, and I think I'm going to do it!

Pile O' Fabric

The quilt Alyssa has planned is very modern in design--more modern than my tastes usually run, in fact. But there are so many blocks on there that I would never, ever choose (or think of) to make on my own that I think it will be a great way to get out of the ol' comfort zone and learn some different things. The finished quilt is pretty huge, but she also has it planned as a quilt-as-you-go project, and there is an emphasis on FMQ too, which will also be great for me.

I spent some time last night considering what my color scheme should be, and though this is still very much open for debate, I'm guessing that it will revolve around blues, greens, and purples. I'd like to do something unusual for the dominant solid background--so we will see what I think of for that!

Check it out! It's obvious that Alyssa has already put a ton of thought and work into this.

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on the BOM, it looks like fun and I might just have to join in. I haven't done bees or BOM's before but I have done a couple QAL's. This year I plan on trying new things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hooked me and I took the bait! Looking forward to sharing our great creations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Can't wait to see what you do with the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing this BOM, too! I went the lazy route and just bought a Kona fat quarter pack, though. Making decisions about colors was just stressing me out! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete