Thursday, June 7, 2012

More Bags!

I picked up a little more fabric yesterday for a couple more bags. I'm trying to make a couple of little girl purses based on Amy's Fat Quarter Bag. I think I'm going to tweak the instructions a fair amount, and if things go as planned (big if), I'd like these bags to be reversible! We shall see...

 How adorable is this fabric? I hate real birds, but I love this bird fabric. Both are from a line called "Happier" for Riley Blake. Apparently, it came out last year, so it may be scarce, but I lucked into it in a store.

I also caved and got myself some fabric to make a bag like the British-themed Margaret Bag I just finished for my friend. Mine won't be British-themed, I chose some cute little flowers from Bonnie and Camille's Vintage Modern line. I love this fabric, but you may be interested to know that the aqua matches NOTHING. My original vision was to have matching plain aqua for the lining, but the store stocked Robert Kaufman solids, not Moda ones, so everything was just a teeny, tiny bit off. (Here's something I don't get about the quilting world-- are all of these lines of solids really necessary? Goodness.) Anyway, I decided to go with contrast in the end. Finding thread to work with the aqua was another fun (and fruitless) adventure. Oh well. Close enough is good enough in this case. :)

Some fun flowers from "Vintage Modern" by Bonnie & Camille.

One change I'm making this go-round is that I'm only using a single interfacing layer, rather than the two interfacing and one interlining that the pattern calls for. I got slightly heavier interfacing though. We'll see how that works.

Programming Note: Why are there all of these bags on a quilt blog? Because I have been away from home for a couple of weeks and will be away for a couple more. I brought my machine, but not my cutting mat, rotary cutter, rulers, etc. I meant to get some things cut so I could quilt while I was away, but life intervened (student final papers, to be specific) and it didn't happen. So I'm trying some alternative sewing activities. I have two quilts that have to be done by the end of July though (including this one!) so there will be more quilts when I get back to New York.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment